Friday, July 10, 2009

Groovy New Toys

Today we bought this groovy little toy:

And we spent all day playing with it. Hubby had all the updates downloaded lickety-split, and in no time at all, we were wireless, much, much faster and seamless than with my Dell laptop from work. (Hubby took this shot and placed the box on the rug we wipe our shoes on to come into the side door. Good choice. And for some reason, his Swiss Army knife is on the box for size, I guess. Or maybe metal comparison? Or maybe to give the image a nose?)

I fell in love with this Mac Air the day it came out but was afraid the monitor would be too small. My desktop has an uber-big gaming monitor cuz I'm old, read too much, and read too much online, which isn't good for the eyes, so a 13" monitor seemed unbearable. My work laptop (a Dell) has a 15" monitor, and that was a pain to use even when plugged in rather than relying just on the battery. (Those older type laptop monitors had florescent bulbs and had to be plugged directly into AC current to be almost bright enough to read.) This Mac has the newer LED backlit monitor that looks almost like a gel screen, like a glossy photo. Ummmm-ummm! Too bad I can't capture the way it really looks in my photo.

Ordinarily I find laptops unwieldy, heavy, with monitors too dark to read by, and keyboards painfully cramped and small. I am on the computer for more than eight to 12 hours a day, so typing on those small keyboards is really hard on the wrists and fingers. Previous generation laptops also tend to run very hot, so I've never had much use for them.

But this one was oh, so cute! Our home office also gets pretty warm, even downright hot during the summer with both computers running, so I decided it might be a good idea to get a laptop for just this application. Using one would also keep our electric bill lowered, especially in terms of ramping up the air conditioning to cool the office. Using a laptop doesn't take as much energy, and with a cooler running model, the ambient temps in the house don't rise.

After looking at the specs online, I was leaning toward the Mac Pro instead with the 17" monitor. We waited until the second generation came out so that bugs could get worked out, and yesterday we went to the Mac store, tried them out, lifted them, oh'ed and ah'ed, and even though the Air doesn't have as many usb ports or a CD drive like as I'd like, you can't debate the light weight. There is simply no getting around the barely two or three pound weight of the thing. Plus, it's sooooooooo sleek. And did I mention CUTE?!?!?!

Plus, right now it comes with a mail-in coupon for $229 for a Mac store credit, which will buy you an iPod Touch, so now we have two Touches, his and hers. :-)

We played with it all day like it was a new puppy. Now if only it had that new puppy smell . . .

No comments: