We had six to 10 inches of snow on Good Friday.
This is what it looked like looking out the window:

Alright, alright, this is March and Michigan, after all, so who am I kidding that we wouldn’t have the possibility of snow, even if Good Friday was the first day of spring, but jeeze o’ Pete’s already!!
And just later in the evening this is the look where the snow attached itself to the screens:

This is the fifth biggest seasonal snow accumulation in Michigan since these types of records were kept. The record is 93 inches (do your own centimeter math), in 1880. We have had 67 inches this winter and more predicted for this afternoon.
Good Grief!!
The somewhat good news is that the sun was out in full force for most of the afternoon yesterday, and it did a pretty good job of melting stuff, so we are down to small mounds here and there, larger ones in parking lots, of course, and a mere inch or less in some places on the grass, where little green sprouts can actually be seen.
I guess you could consider this a late Saturday Sky:

After finishing the Pomatomus, I hunted around for another sock project because I have been itching to try my Trekking XXL, and thought about the Mock Wave Cable Socks in Favorite New Socks because it was the only pattern I could find specifically designed for said yarn.
Now, I wasn’t thrilled with the pattern, but I thought, why not? I have two balls of the same color, and I am not too jazzed by the colorway anyway, so why not give ‘em a try? I cast on, thought I would try my hand at a picot top, which, btw, came out wonderfully, and started the pattern.
Blek. Tried for about two inches, more blek. Ripped ~ only to the cute picot that I intended to keep, mind you, because THAT took a few minutes over 80 stitches. If I ever make a picot cuff again, and I hope I do, it won’t be over 80 stitches. Changed to the pattern I really like in the 2007 IK Holiday Gifts, Socks for Veronik on page 46. But alas, this pattern really needs a solid color to do it justice.
Here’s what I have, and why even this lovely pattern is blek: the colorway. I just can’t stand it.

I know, I know, you can’t trust monitors (or even print catalogues for that matter) for true color when ordering online, but blek a’roo, I don’t like these colors.
In the picture above, they look very tolerable, especially in the stockinette area, where, btw, I think this yarn has to end up, as a stockinette fabric. The colors APPEAR to be a nice shade of salmon, a soft, spring yellow, a faint olive, and a cream. But in reality, the pink and orange are more like sherbet ice cream, too pastel and washed out for me, and the olive is really a washed out charcoal grey. I am of the fall palette, strong, vivid colors with some umph to them, and while I love soft spring colors in my sky or my plants, I don’t want them in my socks.


































No comments:
Post a Comment