Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lilies and Rochester Sheep (Ewe Review)

In keeping with my flower theme, here are some salmon-colored lilies.

I finally have some knitting to talk about but no pictures yet. I casted on for the Tometen modular kid's jacket for my cousin's baby shower. I've been dying to knit this pattern and the Baby Surprise by EZ, but all my siblings are done having kids.

I also want to get the Tomten book to accompany it.

I'll never finish it in time, though. The shower is this Sunday. She is having one of those mid-life "accident" babies; her youngest is 14 years old, the older two will be graduating within the next three years, and now she will have a newborn at 42+. Good grief, I would not want to be in her shoes, 60 when the baby graduates high school! How can one retire and pay for college at the same time?

Hi Amanda! (I hope you are still enjoying your move to Orlando!!) It's very likely a statue similar to the Rochester sheep can be ordered, but unfortunately, I have no idea who the artists were. If my memory serves me right, several different businesses commissioned them as part of the Ewe Review in 2001. As I mentioned in that other post, Rochester, Michigan was the only city that had a real live yarn store that carried real wool back in the 1980s (and perhaps even the 1970s). Someone else has posted pictures of many of the sheep here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/16094087gAQlmEJRIx


There are about 23 or so sheep pictured; it's worth a look. Check out "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing," "Material Ewe ~ paying homage to Madonna because she was raised in Rochester (and went to Rochester High with my brother-in-law)," and "Lamb Chopper" on page 2 and "Lamb Armstrong" on page three. They will crack you up. My dermatologist's office is not in the middle of the downtown area where all the other sheep are located in this online journal, so mine was not part of this other person's photo journal. There were more sheep up and down the main drag, which is Rochestjavascript:void(0)er Road, so there are likely 30 or 40 altogether. It would be so cool to have one in my yard!

No comments: