Friday, November 28, 2008

Something to Do

I am looking for something to do. It's very hard for me to knit at night because I need lots of light for lacework or colorwork when using smallish needles. Right now I am working on a hat with this:
This yarn is Knit Picks's Gloss (the silk and wool combo), and I really, really hope it isn't too pilly.

I was moving along quite splendidly for my slow speed, when the 16" circ I was using just about drove me nuts! I have a size 4 ~ 16" in Inox circs, which are very, very pointy compared to my usual Addi-Turbos, but the needles themselves are very, very short, which causes a somewhat awkwardness to the grasp, and either the needles or the nylon is a bit sticky, which causes no small amount of drag. I started the hat with a 36" Addi circ, but that was much too long, so I downsized from the needle stash. Of course the drag and short needles made my hands ache, so off I went in search of a 24" Addi at the LYS where I saw this:

Of course like 90% of my yarn purchases, this was pure impulse buying. It's 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, looks very itchy, has lots of hair, but the tan tweed is absolutely splendid with bits of light blue and rust and perhaps a few other colors. I was looking for a worsted weight yarn for a cabled sock pattern I have in mind, and this sort of jumped out at me.

At the time, however, I didn't know that Peruvian Highlander Wool is best known for its felting ability, so I'm not sure whether or not to proceed, plus, it certainly looks scratchy.

What to do, what to do???

Sure, I could cake this up and try it out. Why not? If it doesn't work, I can always frog. But this seems like it wouldn't be frog friendly, and then I've wasted yarn, time, and money if the sock turns out to be on the crappy side. I guess I could donate, then, but I hate to donate what I wouldn't be willing to keep for myself. Seems sort of in bad faith, doesn't it?

No comments: