Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote Today!

I voted. Did you?

We voted this morning. We played with the idea of standing in line before the polls opened (we stay up all night, so that would have been easy), but we opted to gamble that the 10:30 a.m. time period would mean light turnout in the suburbs. Our gamble was right, but maybe it's just this area that we moved to ~ lots of retirees who vote by absentee and often the daytime polling places are pretty lightly attended. In the past, when I was in grad school and lived in Detroit, the lines were always several hours long (as if a line could be measured in increments of hours). In any event, we got in, cast our ballots, and got out within 15 minutes, and if anyone is counting or taking exit polls, we voted for Obama.

We also voted to support stem cell research and provide more county benefits for our veterans. In other words, we voted for a new way of life and the promise of a better tomorrow.

I hope you will get out and vote and encourage all you know to do the same. Vote, that is. So text, call, and talk to your friends, neighbors, colleagues, relatives, and even that person down the street whose name you don't know. Update your blog, webpage, twitter post, Facebook, and MySpace page. Reach out. Vote. As if your life depended on it.

My thanks and heartfelt appreciation to everyone who stood for hours in the heat, cold or rain. I know I appreciate your patience!

BTW, my mama voted for Obama, too. And I ain't young, so even the older folks are doing it.

No comments: