
For at least a month and one-half, if not more, I have been looking forward to the beginning of Socktoberfest and trying to plan what kind of socks to knit in honor of it. In September I even wound up some wool in anticipation of Oct 1, but suddenly changed my mind and began a scarf (kernel). Now kernel has been sitting around neglected because I picked up the long-abandoned Tudor Grace, my sister-in-law's Christmas present scarf begun on May 1. I knit earnestly on Grace for about a week and suddenly developed a significant knot in my shoulders, so she has been sent to the table and given a time out.
I have a nice little stash of sock yarn though I have been working hard to use it up and not buy much yarn until I empty out my stash considerably. I've been doing a good job living up to that commitment, so I dragged out this Trekking from a sock I frogged last year:

I didn't get far on it prior to frogging:

Don't adjust your eyes. That picture really is out of focus.
Out of focus or not, you can tell that the yarn didn't work with the pattern or gauge. I'm certainly not in love with this yarn by any stretch of the imagination. It's scratchy, and the colorway is fuglier than anything I've ever bought. It was an online purchase where the monitor promised something much more delightful, something deeper and more intense than this pastel kid's ice creamness that it ended up being. It reminds me of melted Push-up Pops, those orange cream Creamsicles with some melted chocolate brown. Ugh. Melty ice cream. After all, no one intentionally buys fugly yarn, right? Well, I'm off to swatch to see if I can hack it enough to get at least a pair of socks done this month.


































No comments:
Post a Comment