There are many reasons to marry a man ~ love comes to mind first.
Friendship and trust are high on my list.
Being a top-rate chef and an absolute saint who does all the cooking also helps.
M fits all these criteria and more, so I have the BEST husband in the world!
But being showered with gifts for Valentine’s Day doesn’t hurt.
I’ve been searching for good task lighting for some time, and hubby has been insisting I need a good lamp for more than 10 years now. I’ve been taking round about ways to solve the problem, so he took things in hand and using Joann Fabrics via Amazon.com came up with this:

As always, my flash is crap, but this is an OTT floor lamp.
Due to an incredible stroke of luck, both the lamp and this box landed on our doorstep on the same day (don't you wish you were me?):

It looks suspiciously nice, doesn't it?
Now, I’ve been buying yarn from mortar and brick stores for more than 40 years, and from online/catalog—phone vendors for at least 10. I’ve mentioned packaging before, as in when an order from Patternworks arrived last year with the always pricey Koigu just slapped in a box and left in the winter weather at the doorstep.
In contrast to that crappy method of shipping, I’ve received inexpensive yarn and needles from Knitpicks, wrapped carefully in several layers of plastic.
Here is how Sherri of the Loopy Ewe takes care of her yarn and customers:

Everything securely encased in plastic.

Everything inside the plastic lovingly encased in white tissue paper secured with a thank-you label from the Ewe.
Now, doesn’t this presentation just demand that you order all your sock and lace yarn from them? If it doesn’t, you should. This was shipped the same day the order was placed and on my doorstep three days later, and the shipping was FREE. Did I mention free shipping???!
Hubby remembered me coveting this very shade of yarn for well over a year ~ perhaps two (he reads this blog), and he ordered it in my name from those lovely folks at the Loopy Ewe (always recommended by Wendy and currently a fabric supplier for Sock Madness II.
Here it is in all its splendor: the scrumptious Nova Scotia produced Handmaiden Sea Silk:

Just say ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
No less than three skeins. Go ahead, count 'em! I HAVE to be able to get a shawl out of that, right?
Alright, there has been a lot of hype about this yarn because of the seaweed/seacell component and rumors that it smells fishy. As you can tell from my sidebar, I smell yarn, and I don't really detect a fishy or seaweed/nori type smell ~ just maybe the smell of dye. But maybe once I start working with it or get it wet for the first time, then the scent will change.
In any event, it is much more scrumptious than even I imagined. I thought it was going to be on the stiff side, like Claudia Handpaints or bamboo, but it is truly more like a very soft silk-cotton blend. I CANNOT. WAIT. TO USE THIS!!!
I've been looking at shawl patterns for days.
Two more skeins of the almost as difficult to procure around these parts Fleece Artist (parent company to Handmaiden) sock yarn that I am considering turning into a shawl and a pair of socks or just two pairs of socks. I wanted this for Christmas 2008 gift giving in mind (why not start early to prevent the hysteria that usually happens in December?)

I'm using almost the same shade of Fleece Artist for the Pomatomus, and thought I might want to make another pair in the same yarn because it is so splendiforous.
But I have also noticed that the scarf version of Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl can be completed using just one skein of Fleece Artist, so maybe I'll go that route with one of the skeins.
And some Trekking that is never available around here but I’ve always wanted to try:

I hope to get two pairs of socks out of the Trekking, one for me, one for DH.
Oh, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky!!!
Oh, how I wish I could knit faster than I do. Sure, I am in it for the process not the product, but boy-oh-boy, look at those goodies.
They are especially nice after having been on a very strict and successful yarn diet during the whole of 2007. I think I bought only six skeins of yarn during 2007, two skeins of Shaefer's Anne's fingering weight sock or lace yarn, four skeins of sock yarn ~ all for Sock Madness I, all of which are exempt as they are the yarn that I was allowed to purchase with abandon through the wild card (if you remember the rules).
I told you I have the best husband in the world!


































No comments:
Post a Comment