Monday, December 14, 2009

Finished Fingerless Gloves

Another Christmas present done. Yippeee!! DH's lightweight fingerless mitts/gloves for household computing on cold winter days.

Hubby tried the left one on while I worked on it, and he kept assuring me that the fit was fine and what he was looking for, but I disagreed. After completing the first mitt, I made some size modifications on the second one since the right hand mitt would be working the mouse, and I thought the mitt needed a bit more play, especially across the palm and at the thumb join.

I used a larger size needle on one row of the round several rounds before beginning the thumb. Though I didn't want to use the size 4 needle all the way around, I did want a bit more breathing space, so I used the same needle, moving it forward on the round each time I came to it, so over three rounds the needle moved through each of the three working needle's rows. This technique seemed to work pretty well. I did this until I got to the thumb, and then switched to all size 4 DPNs throughout.

As before, DH kept trying the mitt on while I worked on it, and the second finished mitt fits much better than the first. I tinked back the thumb on the first mitt and increased the total number of thumb stitches for about four rounds and used the size 4 DPNs throughout, giving a bit more wiggle room to the left mitt. Hubby claims he likes the fit of both, but I have a feeling I might be starting completely over with the left one once he puts these to work. That's fine.

These aren't outdoor mitts by any stretch of the imagination, and they certainly are not dense like the original Fetching made of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran weight yarn on US size 6 needles. CTH is fingering weight at most, and I used a combo of size 3 and 4 DPNs, sticking with the same stitch count, so these are definitely not thick but sort of stretched out a lot to be rather breezy and almost lace-like while on.

DH doesn't often wear wool socks because they make his tootsies too hot, and he feels the same way about gloves/mittens. Even in the dead of winter it is difficult to get him to put gloves on when he's outdoors. The only time he will concede to gloves is SOMETIMES while shoveling snow. Other than that, even when going for walks in the evening after work in bitter cold, he just jams his hands into his pockets and goes glove-free. But maybe he will use these while computing when the temps drop.

Project Specs:
Pattern: Fetching ~ modified (Knitty Summer 2006)
Needles: Lantern Moon US size 3 DPNs and Plymouth Yarn Bamboo size 4 DPNs
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Select Semi-solid (4 oz/420 yds; 100% superwash merino/supersoft-lower micron): colorway Loden
Mods: I used fingering weight yarn instead of Aran weight and size 3 DPNs for the cuff and beginning of the palm just above the wrist, then switched to one size 4 for a bit, then all size 4 after the thumb instead of size 6. I added more rows to the palm after setting up for the thumb (at least five more), and made the thumb longer. (DH has long fingers.) I did NOT do the picot bind off since it seemed a bit too frilly for hubby. I tried picking up more stitches around the thumb area to close up some of the gaps. If I make these again, I might consider making a normal mitten-type thumb with increases instead of the knitting on waste yarn thumb opening used in the pattern. I really dislike all those gaps this technique produces even if it is a quicker way to complete a thumb.

Overall we are both very pleased with the results. I love CTH. The colors are always beautiful, and it has great stitch definition. Plus the supersoft merino is soft to the touch, so it has great next-to-your-skin wearability. I've got a lot of yarn left from this skein (I'll weigh things out later on) though I doubt I have enough for a hat. But with some luck, I might be able to squeeze another pair of Fetching out of the cake. I told you this yarn wasn't going to linger in my stash.

No comments: