Saturday, December 05, 2009

Saturday Sky w/New Sock Yarn

I've had sort of an early Christmas: new yarn arrived in Tuesday's mail. Since it's all sock yarn, from Loopy Ewe, of course, it doesn't count towards my yarn diet restrictions. I've been extraordinarily good at adhering to my few years' old promise of using stash yarn up first. I have very specific projects in mind for all this yarn, so most is going to be used in the upcoming months instead of lingering in the stash.

Everything in the first bag is Cherry Tree Hill (CTH), the second bag has two more skeins of Fleece Artist.

From left to right there are two semi-solid Wisteria (CTH) that I have earmarked for mittens and a hat for me despite hubby's eyeing them in a sort of coveting way and mentioning that "that's a nice color!" I need the mittens soon, so hopefully I'll cast on for them no later than next week.

Next is semi-solid Loden (CTH) that I will be using to make socks for hubby. Then semi-solid Slate and solid Gingersnap, both of which hubby has also expressed enthusiasm for, but unless he actually starts WEARING these socks, I have no intention of knitting more to sit in his sock drawer or next to his chair. I think he likes the idea of them more than the actual use of them. He claims his Gentleman's Socks are too warm (Koigu), but he promises to wear them this year once the weather dips.

I am very, very careful to use only soft merino wool for all the socks I make, so I don't think the wool is uncomfortable. I very much dislike wearing rough, scratchy wool, though often I can work through knitting it up, but since I wouldn't wear scratchy wool, I don't expect others to either. Maybe the socks really are just too warm. He dislikes sweaty feet and changes his socks often, which is a good thing, and he uses mainly white cotton socks when he is home, so we'll see.

Hubby's well-worn green sweater is Lamb's Pride, which is fairly scratchy, but since he always has a shirt or two beneath it, the level of scratchiness seems to be acceptable, and that's why I tend to believe the issue is really warmth not scratch.

Speaking of well-worn, I offered to make him a new sweater this year and last year, but he declined, sticking with old greenie. Old greenie is not worn through and is holding up surprising well, especially for the amount of daily wear it gets during the winter months. Plus he is rough on clothes anyway, flinging them here and there after disrobing, so I am pleased that the Lamb's Pride is holding up so well. It pills a lot, though, so if you can overlook pilling, this yarn can take abuse and daily wear. This year, though, he did venture out on a mini-clothes shopping trip and procured a grey cotton hoodie that he has taken to wearing. It's rather thin, though, and seems unsubstantial, so I don't know if it will be suitable for January weather.

Back to the yarn bag: stretched across the top is CTH solid Light Purple that will be worked into either a hat or Socks for Veronique socks for me. What you can't see is that there is a circular needle in the back side of this bag.

The second bag containing Fleece Artist in Pansy and Cezanne colorways. Though hubby like Cezanne when I placed the order, he is very drawn to the Loden and Wisteria. I was hoping to use the Cezanne to make him a pair of socks because Fleece Artist is a bit heavier than CTH, so the socks would knit up faster. The downside is they would be even warmer than the abandoned Koigu Gentleman's Socks, so he probably wouldn't wear them anyway. He doesn't wear scarves, so I've given up that idea permanently. But, I can always use winter socks, and FA is great for scarves as gifts to female family members, so I will always have a use for FA.

We had our first dusting of snow just before midnight on Thursday morning, December 3. Another light brushing yesterday night. More is promised for tonight. We haven't had any accumulation, though. The snow just disappears once it hits the ground.

Lately our sky has been very grey but not menacing like summer grey skies.

There is very little visible texture, which results in a sort of monotone look. I imagine those on the lake can easily become disoriented from such a sky, particularly if the lake is grey, too, which it would be this time of year. In the distance, the sky and horizon would blend together, and even on shore, this blending is often dizzying and unsettling.

Daytime temps now barely reach the 40s F, and nighttime are starting to move below freezing. Winter is on its way.

No comments: